Topics applicable to newer version(s) of CMM-Manager (3.0+)
Tking
User
User

Post by Tking » Fri May 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Just curious what's in store for the next version release? 4.0 coming next or another 3.9 service pack?

The last update with enhanced 3D CAD import times and rendering speed was a huge benefit! Good job.

Beefing up the GD&T capabilities and profile reporting would great. I'm thinking directly to profile reports. We work with many prints that allow MMB boundry shifts, but CMM Manager doesn't handle that on profile reporting; like it does for true position. Our current workaround is shifting the alignment an allowable amount before reporting profile.

Anyway, just what the CMM-M team has in store for this year. Hope everyone is staying healthy and busy!

-TKing

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 4.0

Post by CrashN8 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:30 pm

3.10 is coming pretty soon... thank you for the kind words about Rendering CAD, etc. We've made similar improvements for Report generation in 3.10, though you'll probably only notice if you are running huge programs.

Off the top of my head we have made big changes to DMIS execution - i.e. added more DMIS commands, added multiple Probe Assy support, etc. We're adding SP25 support to Pantec controllers. We made many small reporting enhancements but had not gotten to the point of a grander GD&T overhaul that will come soon enough. We've added some more capabilities that help with Automation integrations. This is by no means a complete list... keep an eye on the forum, website, LinkedIn, etc. for official release info.

myork1967
Nikon
Nikon

Post by myork1967 » Sun May 31, 2020 9:31 pm

Any chance you could add in an option in the program database, instead of it saying report i.e. report dist bt cir1 and cir2, allow a text to actually show, lets say item1 item2 ect....

Yes i know you can put in comments but i think that would be a great addition....

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:51 am

myork1967 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:31 pm
Any chance you could add in an option in the program database, instead of it saying report i.e. report dist bt cir1 and cir2, allow a text to actually show, lets say item1 item2 ect....

Yes i know you can put in comments but i think that would be a great addition....
I do not understand... Where exactly do you want to customize the text? In the report document, Name (label) of Program Database operation, etc. As you mention you can add Comments (actually Notes) to Report operations, these comments are displayed along with report item in Report document. It sounds like you want to "rename" the Operation in Program Database...

Tking
User
User

Post by Tking » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:17 am

As Nate said, you can rename features in your program. Instead of "Circle 1," it could be "Datum-B", "1" or anything else you can fit in the text field. I once tried to name all the features, but it requires too much overhead.

What I've found efficient is making a balloon print for each project and then generate the report order based on that. CMM Manager outputs "#1 Tolerance Report" - so that will match balloon #1 on my report. You can reorder these with the "reorder by program" function, if things need moved around.

If you label the items 1 and 2. If the first dimension on the print is a distance between 1 and 2. How do you label the balloon? If you label it 1, the next might be a distance between item 1 and 3, but the balloon or report will read 2. They don't correspond. You could do the same thing and call them item A thru Z, but now it's completely cluttered with balloon numbers for each dimension and letters for each feature.

Use the note function if you want to call out something like "Datum-B" or you can rename a few "features" in the feature tab and it would read "Dist_btw - Datum-B and Datum-C," yet still correspond to the balloon print dimension. Example - Ballooned item 3 = #3 Tolerance Report.

Not sure how others program, but I write my programs first and run thru them to proof the hits and path. Once it works well, I build my report based on the balloon print order. I used to try and do it all at once, but sometimes you get into a situation where you aren't getting reliable results and have to change your method. If you start deleting features and changing things around, the report items go too and the reports get all messed up.

Does this help?

CMM Guru

Post by CMM Guru » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:38 am

What Tking said...

However - I'm with Nate. A solid example would be useful here. I'm *guessing* that you indeed want something like Dist CIR17-Datum-B. If that is the case, just rename the feature in the program database so that Circle3 (whatever) gets renamed Datum-B. Names are arbitrary.

myork1967
Nikon
Nikon

Post by myork1967 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:08 pm

I was unable to figure out how to add a picture to the forums....

The addition would be seen in the program database.

Instead of seeing Report BT OPENSLT2 and POINT1 add in an option in that reporting dialog box for an item or balloon number, so instead of seeing Report BT OPENSLT2 you would see ITEM 1 or #1...something along that lines.

I thought this would be an good edition to add in to quickly find your item/reporting quickly instead of looking at each one at a time.

Plus I have had several customers ask why that is not an option. When more than 3 ask, I have to as well....:)

jswope
Super User
Super User

Post by jswope » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:39 am

Something I would like to see would be to add the option to add a note on User Defined Dimension. There are times when we run the program a year later and someone has remove a pin gauge from the fixture. You then just put 0 in the User Defined Dimension but it would be nice to also click on note and add a comment of why the 0.

CMM Guru

Post by CMM Guru » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:11 pm

Jeff - interesting suggestion.
Mike - I think you explained it will enough. Do you want it to REPLACE the existing text, MODIFY (add to) the existing text, or be like an embedded note?

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:17 pm

Jeff - See attached program that gives alternate method for Prompt you describe above - i.e. Boolean response for Presence / Absence of Gauge Pin. By using VB MsgBox() you can give much more description message to user at Program Runtime and you can force boolean response (Yes / No) vs. expecting user to type "0" or "1"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.