timer to go offline(disconnect)?

Topics applicable to newer version(s) of CMM-Manager (3.0+)
nek9
Participant
Participant

timer to go offline(disconnect)?

Post by nek9 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:52 pm

Hello, this might be a long shot, but is there a way to set a timer to automatically switch user offline when not in use for several minutes/hours? A Few people uses Cmm-Manager and everyone has their own user account(One PC). We encountered that if the last person that uses the software does not disconnect to the machine an error message pops up for the next user.

CMM Guru

Re: timer to go offline(disconnect)?

Post by CMM Guru » Fri May 08, 2020 6:15 pm

Can you give a bit more detail? And a bit more to the sequence? Are you saying the last user did not disconnect, but the computer went into sleep mode (or similar) and when you went back into windows you got the error? Or was CMM-Manager closed and somebody restarted it and got the error?

Which controller / CMM brand do you have?

There may be some other options we can assist with if we understand this a bit better.

nek9
Participant
Participant

Post by nek9 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:51 am

Yes, if the last user doesn't disconnect the CMM from the machine and another user signs in under their respective profile, then the CMM Manager will throw up an error. The errors are attached as an image file.

Is there a way to automatically disconnect the CMM from the machine after a set amount of time? this will benefit us greatly in case a user forgets to disconnect before leaving the computer.

Some additional information: the CMM version is 3.8 SP1; the machine is an LK Altera. Let me know if you need more information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

007tda
Nikon
Nikon

Post by 007tda » Mon May 11, 2020 12:18 pm

I would highly recommend that you try to get away from multiple users logging in to the PC. There are many functions that CMM Manager has to store properly when the software is shutdown. If you are opening multiple sessions from different user accounts or forcibly closing the active session so you can start and connect another you risk corrupting certain pieces of information that may make the user unable to access the proper files to run programs. I don't have all the finite details but we have worked with multiple customers to avoid this. It is best if the PC has just one user account for running the CMM.
I will let the software team respond if they have any other options to this.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Some clarification... Multiple users should work just fine actually. The configuration stored to PC (Windows Registry actually) is stored in an are that is shared for all WIndows Users. There are some configurations (only related to UI Layout, custom toolbars, etc.) that are stored in Current User branch of Registry, this of course will not effect connection, machine configuration etc.

We actually have many customers in the Medical Device field that MUST use unique WIndows logins.

Anyway... getting back to your original question. I'll bet this is happening due to USB, Ethernet, etc. going to "sleep" when the Screen Saver or Hibernate function turns on. You should be able to prevent this by adjusting Windows Power settings - i.e. prevent the bus used to communicate with your CMM from going to sleep.

nek9
Participant
Participant

Post by nek9 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:45 am

OK, ill speak to our internal I.T. to see what he can do. thank you.