Microsoft Ending WinXP Support

US_Helpdesk

Microsoft Ending WinXP Support

Post by US_Helpdesk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:21 am

As of April 8, 2014, Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP, nearly 13 years after its release. This means there will be no more Windows Updates, security patches, service packs for the operating system, and any problems with go unfixed.

Most antivirus software will continue to support Windows XP through 2015, but going online using a computer that still uses XP will be a problem: the computer will be much more susceptible to viruses, and the OS will not support new versions of Internet Explorer. However, Chrome and Firefox internet browsers will still support Windows XP until 2015.

If you plan on buying Windows 7 or 8 and upgrading your CMM computer, remember to first back-up your data, like documents and programs, calibration data onto an external hard-drive or thumb drive. Then load Windows and import all of your saved data from the hard-drive back onto your computer. For further information on backing up and restoring your existing CMM-Manager PC look here - https://cmmmanager.com/forum/viewtopic. ... lit=backup

Note: CMM-Manager will support XP OS as well as all newly released operating systems - i.e. Vista, Win7, Win8. Both 32 and 64 bit versions are working with most interfaces now. Check with your local Nikon rep for compatibility information of your current system.
I've migrated to a new user account, see my other posts here

joeskd8aqh
Participant
Participant

Re: Microsoft Ending WinXP Support

Post by joeskd8aqh » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:22 pm

Has CMM manager been tried with Windows 10 yet? Please advise of any issues or advantages please.
Joe Sheline
Quality Technician

Swihart Industries, Inc.
5111 Webster Street
Dayton, OH 45414

BTyler
Nikon
Nikon

Post by BTyler » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hello Joe,
I've done some initial testing on Windows 10 Pro x64 using the virtual CMM. It works much as it does on Windows 8/8.1 and I haven't had any crashes or bugs yet. I plan on testing it with one of our Sheffield CMMs here within the next week or so. In general, my experience with Windows 10 has shown that just about everything that worked with Windows 8/8.1 works exactly the same in Win10, only the interface has changed a bit. I find Win10 to be an improvement over Win7/Win8 so far.

joeskd8aqh
Participant
Participant

Post by joeskd8aqh » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:32 am

OK sort of what I thought 10 is a improvenent over 7 and 8 once you disable all the tracking items in 10.
Joe Sheline
Quality Technician

Swihart Industries, Inc.
5111 Webster Street
Dayton, OH 45414