Add Move vs Get Tip

HCWT-PAL
User
User

Add Move vs Get Tip

Post by HCWT-PAL » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:02 pm

Like a previous post said, it's easier to control PH20 hit paths if you give the probe a Get Tip command before starting the measurement. Sometimes it seems as if the Add Move command using a 5-axis move to locate and set the probe angle, doesn't carry as much weight with the collision-avoidance routine the PH20 uses. In some cases, it helps to do the Add Move, followed by a Get Tip with the same angles. Is this impression correct?

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Re: Add Move vs Get Tip

Post by Ryan Christopher » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:49 am

This can be a frustrating thing sometimes with PH20. I have also seen that adding a Get Tip command before a PH20 measurement will help get the probe to measure the way I want.

For those times when the Get Tip method does not work, I will create a feature to act as an obstruction then add it to cad thereby forcing CMM Manager to avoid the obstruction and measure the way I want.
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Add Move vs Get Tip

Post by CrashN8 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:08 pm

We have some small changes with PH20 path planning that will be introduced in version 3.9 (April 2019) that should resolve this behavior where unexpected tip orientation is used for features on side(s) of part. As Ryan suggests, usually you can force an approximate orientation by first selecting Tip from Tip Manager, while Brute Force method includes adding extra CAD obstacles.