Move CAD models/layers independently

joxen
Getting Started
Getting Started
Move CAD models/layers independently

Post by joxen » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:54 pm

I am trying to program a very small part, which is resting on a 1-2-3 block, using separate CAD models for the part itself and the 1-2-3 block. When I import them, they are not necessarily aligned to each other, and I want to arrange them relative to each other the way they will be situated on the CMM table. The CAD Ref Frame features under Import/Export, however, affect all CAD layers at once. By company procedure, I cannot modify the CAD files to include both pieces in a single layer. There is only one workaround that I have discovered, and it is functional but very cumbersome:
  1. Import 1-2-3 block CAD and position on table
  2. Set part origin to a corner of the block
  3. Add the block layer to furniture, to prevent it from moving together with the part CAD
  4. Import the actual part CAD model and rotate it into correct alignment
  5. Sync CAD to "snap" the part to the origin at the corner of the 1-2-3 block
  6. Move 1-2-3 block layer back to CAD from furniture, so that they move together again
  7. Establish my actual desired datum origin on the part, and continue programming as normal
As you can see, this is quite a lot of steps, so I'm wondering if there's an better way to position separate CAD models/layers independently of each other within CMM-Manager. I have looked through the help files and searched the issue online, and have not found a solution yet. Any help is much appreciated.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Move CAD models/layers independently

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:23 pm

I think the method you've mentioned above is in fact the best (and maybe the only) way to do this. We have discussed the concept of allowing CAD Sync for independent CAD layers. I will revisit this topic with our software designers to see if there is a better solution.