Continuous Feature for planes

thejackattck
New User
New User

Continuous Feature for planes

Post by thejackattck » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:46 pm

After creating my manual alignment (in this case by measuring a plane, circle, circle) I'd like to have the DCC alignment take the same leveling plane. When I'm selecting the plane from the CAD model, I only have the option of taking points in each corner of this part individually. So I'd have to take 4 planes, best fit them together to construct my larger leveling plane.

It's doable, but not terribly efficient, and I was wondering if there was a "continuous feature" option that would allow the software to recognize all the features on the CAD model on the same plane? That way I could just choose them all at once, delete the errant points, and only have to measure one plane.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Continuous Feature for planes

Post by CrashN8 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:21 pm

Looks like a good opportunity to use RPS Alignment. Measure three (or four) points on that plane, two circles, then use all features to create an RPS Alignment. No need to measure or construct several planes, just use the native features in the Alignment directly. RPS comes in handy when the Plane is Offset too - i.e. surface is not really planar, but consists of surfaces with unique (usually) Z offsets.

ludoturbo2+
Participant
Participant

Post by ludoturbo2+ » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:38 am

Hello,
It is also possible to modify the extent of the plane (length/width) as well as its XYZ position, in order to obtain a common plane.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 am

I tried this and it does not work if using Auto Path Planning. I checked with software designers and they tell me that Path is bound to original boundary of plane. I created a feature request to change this behavior some time ago, I have moved this request back towards the top of our back log and will report back here if we make changes.

Best option now if you truly want a plane is to measure points or Clouds, then best-fit a plane feature.

ken60
Power User
Power User

Post by ken60 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:40 pm

If I know all surface on same level, I will pick plane on 1 pad with enough points for all pads then use "move point" to spread them out