Cylinder styli calibration error

jpo_031
Regular User
Regular User

Cylinder styli calibration error

Post by jpo_031 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi there
I'm having problems with the calibration of a Cylinder stylus and seems to me as an offset issue but not sure how to do the adjustment, each time i measure any object or run a program with this particular tips i have all the readings or results over by .002" this is not happening if I use the ball tips instead but some parts I'm working with are really thin so need the cylinder shape but cant fix the tip error. i checked all the tip assemblies in CMM MGR and UCC server an all the configuration looks fine and there is no error pop up, with the cylinder for the probe assy in CMM MGR there is an option to edit the styli and shows a offset box to modify the offset but this is just for the length because i tried several times and the results still the same.
So for the tip assembly I'm using this 2 options:
Part :
A-5000-8876
A-5000-7812
Can you please give me a hand with this and let me know what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks

medupriest
SUDO
SUDO

Re: Cylinder styli calibration error

Post by medupriest » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:23 am

I am not sure if you are using a PH20, but if so, there was another thread on the forum regarding cylinder styli, (viewtopic.php?f=50&t=841) and someone had suggested:

"In UCC Server in the advanced tab, try changing the "Elevation Angle" for this tip to something like 10 degrees.
[advanced tab > machine name > equipment > tools > tip name ......]

This will force calibrations away from the equator by this amount and prevent possible shanking."

I would give this a try. We don't manage calibration when UCC Server is used. We just send the command to requalify the tip. You may want to contact Renishaw if the problem persists.

jpo_031
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Cylinder styli calibration error

Post by jpo_031 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:03 pm

I did the changes on the elevation angle as recommended and seems to be working, measured ring gauges are giving the correct readings now, also with ISO 10360 probing test all the results are much better.

Thanks for the help.