Concentricity reporting

RodT
Getting Started
Getting Started

Concentricity reporting

Post by RodT » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:38 pm

Hello,

Why is it that when reporting the concentricity of 2 circles (neither of which are an origin) I get a lot of error, but when reporting each others Y and Z values those check good. This is a simple round part (attached) with a thru hole. The drawing requires each end of the hole to be concentric to each other within .005". When I report it I get .008". However, each one of their Y,Z vaules is within .0007". How can this be? I even tried making one of them XYZ zero and then reported the other. I got the same result.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Re: Concentricity reporting

Post by Ryan Christopher » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:02 pm

No matter how the holes locate to your alignment, that doesn't really matter. The relationship between the feature and the datum determines error here.

I like to imagine situations like you are showing by thinking of them as something I could inspect with a vee block. Then the relationships between d1, d2, and the datum -A- axis angle relative to the feature become simpler to visualize. With a simple picture, now I'm able to simulate errors for the d1 length or the Datum angle and trig out how much error is needed to get the amount that I am seeing. Then I know if my error is reasonable or not.

Most importantly, read through ASME Y14.5 for no B.S. explanation!
vee block pickture.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/

Sideoiler427
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Sideoiler427 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi I am new to this forum and just recently upgraded our manual machine to the CMM Manager software. I am having issues when inspecting concentricity and was hoping that someone could provide additional information being my issue is 4 years after the last post. The requirement for my feature is diameter .627/.625 concentric to [A] within .002. Datum [A] is a cylinder 2.877 / 2.875 x 2.875 deep , and when the two are checked using the concentricity icon on our manual machine the results are .003 - .0037. If I just use the location results between the two diameters, I get .001 - .0014. To confirm my results I inspected the two features in three other methods, conventionally, with our DCC CMM, and with our Micro-Vu. This lead me to believe that there was something off with the results on my manual machine, running the CMM Manager S/W as all the other forms of inspection reported acceptable results (.001 - 0014).
Can anyone explain why when I select the concentricity option to report the results it more than doubles the reported results from the feature locations or the results from other inspection? Keep in mind I tried inspecting as circle / circle and as circle / cylinder features, with the end results being the same. I also was using 6 - 8 points on the circles and 12 - 14 on the cylinder. No matter how the features were inspected on this machine, the end results showed out of tolerance.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Chris

medupriest
SUDO
SUDO

Post by medupriest » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:24 pm

When doing concentricity with two circles, the calculation will be using your reference frame for the axis for the concentricity. When you use a cylinder for the datum, it will use the axis of the cylinder at the axis for comparison which will provide a more accurate result.

Reporting the basic dimensions doesn't provide a clear comparison as concentricity is looking at a median axis from the points and on a 3D feature, there isn't a clear way to do that.