CMM Scripting language

AndyCEI
Participant
Participant
CMM Scripting language

Post by AndyCEI » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:09 pm

Sorta off topic question comes to mind when it comes to VB scripting.

What coding language is VB script written in and is there any documentation or another coding language I can reference to when constructing scripts. Couldn't find anything on Stackover flow surprisingly which tells me that scripting for CMM manager isn't really a hot topic.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CMM Scripting language

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:11 pm

VB Script is VB Script... we use the Microsoft Active Scripting engine, this replaced out old Cypress Enable engine a few years back when we created 64 bit builds of CMM-Manager. You will not find much about CMM-Manager at Stack Overflow as this is a resource for traditional coding. Most info for CMM-Manager VBScripting will be found right here in our Forum.

You can learn more about VB Scripting here - https://www.w3schools.com/asp/asp_ref_v ... ctions.asp

AndyCEI
Participant
Participant

Post by AndyCEI » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:30 pm

Would VB scripting play a big part in say UR10 robot automation. Have you seen a set up with a robot before using CMM manager.

For the most part I've been testing operation loops over the LOT of parts available. Now I'm looking into using that method and converting programs to free position programs on fixture plates. Had an idea for repeatability using the corner of a cube and touching off on each side and using the predetermined program DCC setting "backoff distance" to start a program from a free position alignment (this would make everything super simple for our newbies on second and third shift and avoid crashing the machine from misloads.). All they would have to do is load the program > build the fixture set up (which I prompt with images in a soildWorks assembly) > touch off the two sides and the plane from the corner cube (which will origin the machine for the program with the predetermined DCC program settings for a free position alignment) > load the part and press enter then let it run > wait for the next prompt to load next part and press enter again.

I'm making it a goal to see how much can automate our system and how far I can take it. I'm also in the process of developing a desktop app that launches specific CMM programs using a barcode that is tied into specific part numbers. We have barcode scanners here that are going unused so during my downtime I'm developing a desktop app with python. This would significantly speed up the process of looking through 100s of part numbers or even searching the part number. Just scan and CMM managers already launching the program. Basically if all this goes as planned my next step is to try using the UR10 that we have here that goes unused. Instead of the operator or machine waiting for the next part to be loaded the UR10 would have it covered.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:02 pm

Please feel free to contact me directly. I have actually developed an application in C# already that interfaces CMM-Manager to any industrial robot, PLC, etc. using discreet I/O. We are also working on expanding our IPC (Inter Process Communication) Pipe such that all useful data can be shared easily to external application. You can call our main office and dial 2 for sales to talk to me. Phone number is at our website - qxcmm.com - I will not post here as I'd prefer to keep the hundreds of Spam bots that scrape our forum out of this. :) I look forward to hearing from you.