Backup and Restore / Swap PC's

Topics applicable to newer version(s) of CMM-Manager (3.0+)
US_Helpdesk

Backup and Restore / Swap PC's

Post by US_Helpdesk » Wed May 01, 2013 3:36 pm

It is necessary to backup and restore CMM-Manager when porting CMM-Manager to another computer,
or re-formatting the original computer CMM-Manager was installed on. This document serves as a
guideline on how to backup and restore CMM-Manager, including all configuration and user files,
Besides the CMM-Manager settings, depending on your machine/controller type, you may also need to:

• Backup and restore controller related files
• Install controller device drivers or necessary runtime components

1. Please follow these steps to backup CMM-Manager:

Step 1 Create Help Desk File
1. Launch CMM-Manager;
2. Select System Pearl | Create Help Desk File…, the Help Desk File dialog box is displayed;
Note: File location(s) have changed starting in version 3.3 - Where are my files?
3. Type in the file name, e.g. “My_CMM_1.ZIP”, and click the [Save] button.

Now CMM-Manager backup is complete.

2. Please follow these steps to restore CMM-Manager:

Step 1 Install CMM-Manager
1. Insert CMM-Manager setup disc into the CD-ROM; the installation should run automatically;
• If installation doesn’t run automatically, open your CD-ROM drive from Windows
Explorer, and double click the setup file -i.e. “SETUP.EXE”;
2. Follow the onscreen instruction to finish the installation; Restart the computer.

Step 2 Restore System Configuration
1. Launch CMM-Manager;
2. Select from Ribbon Tab - System | Configuration | Import - the Import Configuration File dialog box displays;
3. Select the configuration / .ZIP file that was saved in backup steps, e.g. “My_CMM_1.ZIP”, and click the
[Open] button; the message displays “Please restart CMM-Manager for the new configuration
file to take effect”.
4. Click the [OK] button.
5. Exit CMM-Manager.

Now CMM-Manager has been restored.
I've migrated to a new user account, see my other posts here

Nemo
Getting Started
Getting Started

Re: Backup and Restore / Swap PC's

Post by Nemo » Fri May 17, 2013 8:52 am

What if I started with 3.0 and I have upgraded since then to 3.2? I don't think I have a disc even. If I am not mistaken it was downloaded and installed that way. How would I swap PC's?

US_Helpdesk

Post by US_Helpdesk » Fri May 17, 2013 2:35 pm

just download the version you need from the website>download page and follow the same instructions.

007tda
Nikon
Nikon

Post by 007tda » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:05 am

With the new file locations in 3.3 & 3.4 and the use of 64bit systems, does this still apply? We are moving a customer from an old XP machine running 2.2 to a new win 7 64bit and 3.4. Would you still try to point the installation to the root C drive?

US_Helpdesk

Post by US_Helpdesk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:16 am

In later versions you can just export the system config and save the Probe Assy files... Then import the system config and load probe files. You should install in the default location for all versions 3.0 or later.

quality
Regular User
Regular User

Post by quality » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:37 am

Is there any different information than what is already posted from 2014 on this subject? I just got a new PC for running CMM-Mgr 3.8 and before I transfer my license to the new PC, I want to make sure that I have all the necessary files and information backed up.

quality
Regular User
Regular User

Post by quality » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:54 am

I found out some information thru other channels. The August 21, 2014 post is still current but you want to also copy the Machine Error file. The location of this file is listed in System/Machine Setup/Machine tab.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:19 pm

If the error map is located in Resource directory (default location for all probing files) it will be included in Help Desk file.

Terzo_073
New User
New User

Post by Terzo_073 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:40 am

Hi All

I have just Started with a company that has a Brown and sharp cmm, the PC attached to it had a failed HDD and i have been tasked with bringing back to life. i have changed the HDD and the PC is now working, All the required files that were provided CMM - manager 3.6sp1 have been installed, but all the info i can find relating to the pc swap states that i need to create a file from the existing license, i was unable to create due to the hdd failing, i believe that the cmm was purchased a couple of years ago from auction so the documentation i can find is very limited.

Do i need my company to purchase a new license?

Regards
Paul

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:37 pm

Terzo_073 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:40 am
Hi All

I have just Started with a company that has a Brown and sharp cmm, the PC attached to it had a failed HDD and i have been tasked with bringing back to life. i have changed the HDD and the PC is now working, All the required files that were provided CMM - manager 3.6sp1 have been installed, but all the info i can find relating to the pc swap states that i need to create a file from the existing license, i was unable to create due to the hdd failing, i believe that the cmm was purchased a couple of years ago from auction so the documentation i can find is very limited.

Do i need my company to purchase a new license?

Regards
Paul
Paul - Hi there. I have emailed our license team and asked that they reach out to you. Three is no need to purchase new license, we have ways to deal with this exact situation. SOmeone should be in touch shortly.