Operation Plan - Tip Change Location?

Advanced techniques applicable to any version of CMM-Manager
randomguy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Operation Plan - Tip Change Location?

Post by randomguy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:47 pm

Hey everyone: I've got a program that's got an operation plan in to run only selected operations. There's a tip change that's included in the selected operations in the operation plan. For some reason, prior to the tip change, the head moves to the home position, then gives the operator an out of limit (abort/retry/ignore) warning. We hit ignore, then it executes the tip change, then it gives another out of limit message. We hit ignore again and it runs successfully from there.

When running the complete program start to finish, the tip change does NOT occur at the home position, so this isn't an issue.

Anyone have any advice how to prevent the move to the home position before the tip change while running in the operation plan?

I was thinking that there was a setting somewhere about "where" to perform tip changes, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

randomguy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Operation Plan - Tip Change Location?

Post by randomguy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:04 pm

I figured out a workaround on this issue. I inserted some dummy moves and restructured the OP so that the tip change was NOT the beginning or the end of a "skip" in operations. Previously, the OP looked like this:

Run Lines 2-30

35: Tip change

Run 40 to end

This made the head move to the home position for some reason. I changed the OP to look like this and it's no longer an issue:

Run 2-30

35: Add Move
36: Tip Change
37: Add move

Run lines 42 to End

Not sure why this works, but having the Tip Change be bookended by other operations worked.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:25 pm

Our Preferred method would be using Auto Path Planning where tip change is included as part of Measured Feature. I know that's not always possible, especially for very beginning and end of program when you want to explicitly add these Get Tip commands. Adding the Add Move before and after makes sense as now the Get Tip command that wouldn't normally have a defined XYZ position now has fixed location WHERE the tip angle occurs. Otherwise it's up to Operation Plan to decide where this tip change occurs.

randomguy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by randomguy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:53 pm

Hey Nate, yeah I'll generally let my programs autopath for tip changes. If I'm doing one part and I've got plenty of clearances, then it doesn't matter and I'll just let it eat.

However, sometimes I'll force it into a tip change if I know I have a ton of parts to run and/or several features that can all be hit with the same tip. Seems like sometimes I'll have a hole that's square to the world and autopath will want to use 3 or 4 tips to get 5 points, when they could all be bumped with the same tip. That's generally what gets me into this situation. In this case, it's a high volume of parts to run and I have a handful of features to check all in an A90B180 tip. Very tight tolerances as well, so I'm trying to run as fast as possible, with as few variables as possible.

On another note, on this same program, I did my first elaborate round of DDE. There's a bit of a learning curve, but I've got the kinks worked out and it's running nicely now. I downloaded and used the XL add-in that you created a few years back. I had some trouble getting it to work, plus I thought it would be handy to get the brackets to the clipboard along with the cell address. So I updated it. Want me to send it or post it?

Thanks again.....
CrashN8 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:25 pm
Our Preferred method would be using Auto Path Planning where tip change is included as part of Measured Feature. I know that's not always possible, especially for very beginning and end of program when you want to explicitly add these Get Tip commands. Adding the Add Move before and after makes sense as now the Get Tip command that wouldn't normally have a defined XYZ position now has fixed location WHERE the tip angle occurs. Otherwise it's up to Operation Plan to decide where this tip change occurs.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:08 pm

The plugin is now part of CMM-Manager. Shortly after I suggested this method on the forum, we made changes to CMM-Manager that include the "Paste" button directly inside our software. Now you can just highlight a cell in Excel and by clicking "Paste" button in CMM-Manager it automagically retrieves the active Cell address. You can email me the updated Plugin for review, this can still help CMM-Manager users on older versions. I'll email you direct...